The land of the Fort Hill Plantation became Clemson University when Thomas Clemson, according to his will “determined to devote the bulk of property to the establishment of an agricultural college upon the Fort Hill place.” His will was honored and the school became Clemson University. The Fort Hill mansion started as a small 4-room house built in 1802. Today the mansion reflects the additions and furnishings of the Calhoun/Clemson family. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
To schedule group tours, call (864) 656-4789.