The restored Hunt Cabin was built around 1826 by Charles Hunt Jr. Mr. Hunt married Martha Dalton in 1825. As a wedding present, Martha’s father, Solomon Dalton, gave Charles 2,300 acres of land. The Hunt Cabin was built on this tract of land in Seneca, South Carolina. The Cabin was scheduled to be torn down, but was purchased by the Clemson Class of 1915 for $35.00 and moved to Clemson College in 1955.
The original home contained four bedrooms on the first floor and a large front porch. As it currently stands, the Hunt Cabin has one large open room on the first floor, and the front porch is long removed. During the early years, the Hunt Cabin was visited by many travelers. General Andrew Pickens, a good friend of the Hunts, spent many nights in their home. Legend has it that during the Civil War, General Sherman spent a night at the cabin, and thus spared it from the torch during his long campaign in the South.